USC to Kick Off Season at UCLA on Sept. 26

Sat., Oct. 24WASHINGTON at USC
USC at ARIZONAWASHINGTON STATE at COLORADO
UCLA at ARIZONA STATE
STANFORD at CALIFORNIAPac-12 Postseason Lineup
OREGON STATE at WASHINGTONGame dates and times to be determined
Bye – Colorado, Utah, Oregon, WSU
CFP Championship (Miami, Fla.)
Fri., Oct. 30 CFP Semifinals
UTAH at ARIZONA STATE
STANFORD at UCLA
OREGON at CALIFORNIA
WASHINGTON STATE at USC
TrojanMPA90
August 2, 2020 5:20 pm

Right now the way things are in California, I don’t see the Pac-12 being able to play any games in September or in the fall at all. So this plan is nice but probably isn’t going to happen.

rleeholder1
August 2, 2020 9:48 am

Interesting that the schedule has been changed to playing UCLA first. In 1945, SC played UCLA twice, the first game in the LA Coliseum and the second game in the Rose Bowl before a then record-setting crowd of 103,000. My relative, Ted Tannehill and SC’s leading rusher in 1945, scored 2 TDs and had 123 yards on only 10 carries. That year, due to war-time travel restrictions, SC did not play Notre Dame (sound familiar). Unfortunately, SC didn’t do too well in the 1946 Rose Bowl, but my relative did rip off an 88 yard run, the length of which… Read more »

Ted Tannehill 1945 No 4.jpg
ATL D.D.S.
August 2, 2020 8:59 am

I am down to one possible sport to watch and to get emotionally connected with.
NBA, NFL, MLB, and as of yesterday the NHL have all thrown in with the terrorist group BLM. If NCAA football does the same, I will be reading more books this fall.

rleeholder1
August 2, 2020 9:52 am
Reply to  ATL D.D.S.

I’m with you ATL D.D.S. I could have gone with “All Lives Matter”, but this BLM only makes me sick.

August 2, 2020 2:56 pm

Allen, as you know, I doubt the Pac plays in 2020. But wouldn’t it be a hoot if the season is played but UCLA and Cal could not field football teams because of this! I honestly think that if that happened that UCLA and Cal would drop football (or maybe go Ivy and drop all athletic scholarships). Think of the problems with Title IX. If football gets dropped, they will have to drop female sports to offset the loss of 85 male scholarships! And, yes, I have stopped watching professional sports. If my watching is sending money to BLM, (which… Read more »

gametv
August 2, 2020 3:16 pm

If I were the head of the Pac-12 or any of these universities, I would not negotiate even one little bit with the players. Dont open that door, the second they given them validation, they will never be satisfied. Just tell the players that they have option to not play and that scholarships are only safe until the COVID crisis is over.

If the Pac-12 actually starts to negotiate on this, it might break apart the conference. Maybe it makes even more sense for USC to leave the Pac-12?

August 3, 2020 8:16 am

Interesting times, don’t you think? I realized something was odd when Cal’s high level football staff was leaving for schools like Cal Poly SLO. I think you are correct, SC had best be making contingency plans for an exit. Do you honestly believe that Larry Scott is capable of handling an issue like this? How about the council of the Pac 12 Presidents?

ATL D.D.S.
August 3, 2020 10:12 am
Reply to  TrojanRJJ

If the SS PAC-12 goes down, Larry Scott has a nearby yacht with a helipad on it. The chopper is fueled up and ready to rescue HIM AND HIMSELF ONLY.

ATL D.D.S.
August 3, 2020 10:08 am

With good traditional leadership the university had prior to Nikias, the temp pres and the little mao, I think they would recognize the cluster that the PAC-12 has become and move on. But not ever would leaving the conference be considered with the leadership we are beset with currently.

gametv
August 4, 2020 9:18 am
Reply to  ATL D.D.S.

ATL – I have a little bit of trust that Bohn is putting together a compelling case to make some bigger moves. There was an interview with his young chief of staff, Sosna, and I was really impressed. Very sharp and analytical guy. Bohn is earning respect and will have more power in the coming year to effect further changes, as needed. While I think the current administration is very liberal and doesnt really care about football, I think Bohn can present a compelling case for why football is important in the engagement and support from alumni. Even Folt/Caruso are… Read more »

August 4, 2020 4:30 am

Perhaps the schools should reply with “Why don’t you boys try a trade school, then you can join a union and present demands all the time”, on their way out the door. Goodbye!!

August 1, 2020 6:11 pm

Man, the month of November is going to be grueling for the Trojans. Hopefully they will tune up well in the first five games and be ready, and healthy for the next 5. I personally do not like ucla being the first game of the season, no real buildup for the rivalry game.

Terrific Tommy
August 2, 2020 7:27 pm

Yup, and I want to see an improved running game. Of course, the O-line is key — without holes, it’s tough to run well. 🤗

August 1, 2020 10:20 am

I agree. I propose the Power 4 +1 (I doubt the Pac 5 really is on a par with the other 4 major conferences in football – thanks Larry, Pat Haden, and Lynn Swann) is to play League only (losing a non-conference game or two or three), the conference championships, and then use the remaining games for Playoffs: for example, the SEC West Champ would play the Pac 12 South Champ. You could give byes to the top 4 teams, much like the NFL does.

Terrific Tommy
August 1, 2020 11:20 am

And ending the regular season with the Huskies has very serious promise and interest attached as well. 😎

Golden Trojan
August 1, 2020 11:43 am

Getting SUCLA out of the blocks will be fun. Hopefully, a big win. Then on the road to Oregon and Friday night at Utah will be tough. The finish with the Huskies could be huge. I will indulge myself in the possibility this will happen, at least for now.

Jamaica
August 1, 2020 9:12 am

I wander if it matters at all to the other Power 5 conferences what the PAC-12 does anymore. They have to think of this conference leadership as a joke and that if it wasn’t for the past history of this conference and USC in particular, the level this conference plays might not even qualify for its continued membership. Yeah I’m sure the schools are more than willing to grab the TV money they have access to but don’t do enough to justify keeping it compared to what the other conferences do to earn theirs. It’s just another example of politics… Read more »

RialtoTrojan
July 31, 2020 10:18 pm

About a week ago I heard a rumor about this game on the 26th and I looked back on the original season schedule. The first two games were “cancelled” But The rest of the schedule was intact . So why the change? My personal feeling is to put on a good show for the first game. But another thought is the game could spell the death blow for one or both of the coaches. If the season goes off the rails after this game jobs could be lost. As much as I hate UCLA I could take a loss this… Read more »

ATL D.D.S.
July 31, 2020 4:04 pm

Was San Jose State or New Mexico not available for our tune-up opener? The gutties are such cannon fodder!

HOF19
July 31, 2020 4:24 pm
Reply to  ATL D.D.S.

If I am not mistaken it is conference only this season.

ATL D.D.S.
July 31, 2020 4:41 pm
Reply to  HOF19

I know–just seemed like an opportune time to nail the ChocoChip bruins!

HOF19
July 31, 2020 2:32 pm

Friday November 27 USC vs Utah……. Could be a big one………FIGHT ON !!!!!

August 1, 2020 6:12 pm
Reply to  HOF19

With Helton coaching, every game could be a big one.