USC Gets Hurt Bad By Losing ALA and ND

A potential 2020 game between Alabama and Notre Dame would be very tough to take, because personally, I don’t see how just playing in-conference games effectively addresses any Covid problem. Maybe for some schools you could make that argument, but definitely not for USC IMO, especially when you lose a ND home game.

ALA and ND are reported to be seriously talking about playing each other to kick off this season, if it ever kicks off, per Gary Stokan (President/CEO of the Chick-fil-a Peach Bowl).

Stokan, on the Thom Abraham radio show in Huntsville, said the two schools have discussed playing in either Tuscaloosa, South Bend, or Dallas (AT & T Stadium).

__________

TrojanDailyBlog members  —  Always feel free to add information or topics to the TDB which don’t necessarily pertain to any particular moderator post or member comment.

Rock2112
July 20, 2020 1:13 pm

The guy is always positive, but not in a delusional way, like some people we know.

July 20, 2020 2:40 pm
Reply to  Rock2112

Rock, I think Urban is correct about the SEC, Big 10 & Big 12. Ed O stated (I think late last week) that the players need to play and the country needs them to play. That view will, I think, hold in the South and Midwest. I doubt it holds on the West Coast or the Northeast. I have made my views as clear as I can on Covid. Based on the data I am seeing, Covid presents no greater health risk to these kids than does the flu. The issue is NOT player safety.

ATL D.D.S.
July 21, 2020 5:56 am
Reply to  TrojanRJJ

RJJ–ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! So tired of this hysteria. So shocking that so many adults in this country have lost all common sense and can be made to run themselves of a cliff like idiotic lemmings.

July 20, 2020 10:30 am

Allen, I stick by my prediction. The Pac does not play this year, but the SEC, Big 10 and Big 12 do. As you know, my view is that this outcome is based entirely on politics and not player safety. I read that some Pac 12 players were trying to unionize and “strike” if they did not get a profit share plus other benefits. I doubt this group will need to worry – assuming that there is no Pac 12 season. The financial end of this is, for me, fascinating. Can WSU take a hit for $40 million this year… Read more »

Jamaica
July 20, 2020 6:58 pm

This is better off being cancelled as few if anyone pays much attention to this “run down” conference especially with Mike Leach gone and Chris Petersen retired, what’s to listen to? Helton & Scott? BORRRRRRRRING!

HOF19
July 20, 2020 10:04 am

Ian Rapoport just reported in his twitter account 20 minutes ago “In California, fall and winter high school sports are moving to the spring due to COVID-19″

HOF19
July 20, 2020 10:04 am
Reply to  HOF19

And how will that affect recruiting ?

Bobbo
July 20, 2020 1:26 pm
Reply to  HOF19

Hello guys, I have been lurking and reading. Disgusted by the entire situation of Folt and COVID. I will remind that I told everyone that this is what she was going to be like. That is why I posted the link to the article from the Charlotte newspaper about her. She is bad news through and through. As for your question HOF19, I think the bigger thing is how this will affect the CIF and State playoffs. If colleges won’t let their football players play basketball after they sign their LOI, I highly doubt that these same colleges will allow… Read more »

July 20, 2020 3:19 pm
Reply to  Bobbo

These guys were recruited for where they were when the offer was made. I see no big deal in recruiting, just don’t play that spring football season and enroll fresh and not risking injury.

Bobbo
July 21, 2020 12:16 am
Reply to  Steveg

Exactly.

And, this is the year that a non-power might just be able to win a title as schools like MD might lose too much talent to win. This could get interesting.

TrojanMPA90
July 19, 2020 3:37 pm

With the way things are right now, it makes no sense for there to be any type of football this fall. COVID-19 is not going away and risking players healths seems foolish. It is best to wait till Spring 2021.

July 19, 2020 4:12 pm

I wonder what are the stats for college athletes being positive and requiring hospitalization. They have to be small to none.

John Weld
Admin
July 19, 2020 4:48 pm
Reply to  Steveg

As of July 17th, out of the 320 players tested, 7 athletes came up positive for Covid19, no report of whether anyone was exhibiting symptons or requiring medical treatment.

July 19, 2020 6:25 pm
Reply to  John Weld

Thanks John, was that just at USC?

John Weld
Admin
July 19, 2020 6:54 pm
Reply to  Steveg

Yes, just USC athletes.

July 19, 2020 6:29 pm

I have to agree with Leinert and Bush, going from a spring season to summer workouts to fall camp to the fall season would tear guys up pretty badly.

July 19, 2020 6:27 pm
Reply to  TrojanMPA90

That thing about playing football in spring, it really puts the hurt on players having to go into summer drills, then fall camp and the fall 2021 season. Guys won’t have time to heal, teams will be decimated with injuries.

PN4SC
July 20, 2020 6:06 am
Reply to  TrojanMPA90

How are healthy people, 18-22 at risk of losing their health playing football? Perhaps concussions, broken bones, torn ligaments, but COVID 19? Are you serious?
Nobody under 19 in California has died from this disease, but there have been flu related deaths.
You sound like one of those parents that is terrified to let their children go back to school this fall. Maybe we should all stop driving cars, and eliminate highway deaths.

July 20, 2020 10:23 am
Reply to  TrojanMPA90

TrojanMPA90, Being as respectful of your position as I can, I simply do not see the data backing you up. You might what to go to Gary P’s old board and read Arledge’s analysis of this, which to me makes sense. For these kids, the risk of Covid is on a par with getting any flu. For example, pro soccer is playing, players are getting Covid and to the best of my knowledge, not one player has been hospitalized. The NBA had a group of players get it and I think the same result: zero hospitalizations. For low risk groups,… Read more »

July 21, 2020 7:49 am
Reply to  TrojanMPA90

@TroganMPA90. Bobbo has posted the actual data about this risk at the heading about the players at Cal wanting to unionize the football players in the Pac. The data (not opinion) shows that all college kids are at a higher risk for death from the flu than from Covid. Granted the data is not conclusive as to the other side effects. I am interested like your reaction to this data. Not to embarass or prove you wrong. My interest is how a person who believed what I view as “disinformation” reacts when shown the truth. And, the truth is that… Read more »

July 19, 2020 2:17 pm

What am I hearing about pac12 players making demands for 50/50 revenue sharing, 6 years insurance and other stuff or they will boycott the 2020 season? Time for these children to grow up. Seems it is originating out of where else, Berkley. Saw it on uscfootball.com authored by Brad Crawford and on Facebook 247sports.

Last edited 21 days ago by Steveg
July 19, 2020 2:12 pm

4 star running back/cornor back commit Prophet Brown, California grown.

Last edited 21 days ago by Steveg
July 19, 2020 3:36 pm

As short as USC will be at RB, the defense may have to give him up.

gametv
July 19, 2020 4:52 pm

i thought he was coming in as a corner?

good to have an athlete with such diversity, but in the past, SC has sometimes allowed these versatile athletes to not find their niche. need to make sure they commit to making him great at whatever position they use him for.

July 19, 2020 6:24 pm
Reply to  gametv

I remember other players plugged in originally at one position and then by necessity have to switch because of a shortage at a position. Perhaps they can use him both ways.

July 19, 2020 8:56 am

Allen, You are absolutely correct. The USC brand in general, which is based in large part on having elite football teams competing on the national stage, is in decline. The decision to disrupt (I would say destroy) the Trojan Family is mystifying to say the least, but it was done. You were also correct that this year’s SC football team looks to be pretty good (it is the best team SC will field in the next three or four years). So, losing this season will hurt; if this season is played, losing ND will hurt (I think scheduling AL was… Read more »

gametv
July 19, 2020 4:57 pm
Reply to  TrojanRJJ

TrojanRJJ – I know you say you dont care, but I think you do still care a bit and probably always will. When I say Fight On, you will still feel a bit of the pride of the past. I have tried to not care, but I keep getting dragged back in.

Hopefully, there will be some push-back on the Folt/Caruso agenda.

July 20, 2020 8:07 am
Reply to  gametv

RJJ cares, just like we all do, but the anguish we feel is disheartening to say the least.

July 20, 2020 10:15 am
Reply to  gametv

Gametv, Thanks for posting. I have a fond memory of what USC used to be. I will follow the team as well as its development and hope. To use a Biblical model, much like the father in the Prodigal Son. I will not support what is going on, but will hope for a change. Folt is very very good at institutional politics and she is ruthless. And, she has all the power (I agree that the only person who can influence her is Caruso). The only possible way a nobody like me can push back is to disengage both financially… Read more »

July 18, 2020 4:46 pm

Allen, I have personally never understood the logic of doing conference only. To me it makes no difference in regards to the virus thing. What it does do is drive down income to the school in a time they are facing insurmountable deficits. As in all things academic, there is just a lack of common sense applied to the decision being made. SMH.

gametv
July 18, 2020 5:20 pm
Reply to  Steveg

I think the core problem at higher education is that they have set up environments that coddle kids and their parents. When they have set up safe zones where kids cant come in contact with any unkind word or differing opinion, how can they then turn around and allow even an infinitesimal chance of a student dying or becoming seriously ill from COVID? It becomes an equation where colleges are willing to accept zero risk and in this world, there is no such thing as zero risk. I would imagine that the chances of a student athlete contracting COVID is… Read more »

Golden Trojan
July 18, 2020 6:42 pm
Reply to  gametv

Can we all just put on an F***ing mask already?! Just tell the little babies it is for their own good. This is not just about dying or even getting sick. Mt Sinai Hospital in New York is referring 40% of post Wuhan Bat Virus patients for persistent neurological problems, that is on top of heart, lung, kidney, liver damage. I have a patient, 40 year old firefighter, had the virus a month ago and still has no sense of taste or smell. You want that?! The virus will likely burn out if it has no place to go! Put… Read more »

Last edited 22 days ago by Golden Trojan
rleeholder1
July 19, 2020 5:48 am
Reply to  Steveg

I agree Steveg. Sometimes common sense means you just let things ride. I had hoped the schedule would have stood as is, with USC playing both Alabama and Notre Dame. The conference-only thing means SC will be on the road to Oregon and Utah. Is a trip to Dallas to play Alabama that much different? SMH too!