Kedon Slovis Makes Another Watch List

Whether the 2020 college football season will actually be played remains in doubt. None-the-less, the latest award to release its watch list is the Davey O’Brien Award, given annually to the nation’s best college football quarterback. Last season, LSU’s Joe Burrow won the award.

The entire list of 30 quarterbacks named to the O’Brien preseason watch list also includes Georgia’s Jamie Newman (just transferred as a grad from Wake Forest), who will be competing with immediately eligible Trojan transfer JT Daniels. Ironically, many think Daniels is actually better suited for Georgia’s offense than Newman and give him the edge in the Bulldog QB duel to come.

Aside from USC’s Kedon Slovis, only one other QB from the Pac-12 is named: ASU’s Jayden Daniels.

Slovis’ 167.6 passing efficiency mark in 2019 was a school record. His 282 completions and 3,445 yds of total offense were also Trojan freshman marks.

The below list will be cut to 16 semifinalists on Nov. 10. From those 16, three finalists will be announced on Nov. 24. The 2020 Davey O’Brien Award winner will be unveiled live on ESPN on  Dec. 10 during The Home Depot College Football Awards.

• Hank Bachmeier – Boise State
  • Spencer Sanders – Oklahoma State
  • Kedon Slovis – USC
  • Zac Thomas – Appalachian State
  • Kyle Trask – Florida
  • Brady White – Memphis

__________

TrojanDailyBlog members  —  Always feel free to add information or topics to the TDB which don’t necessarily pertain to any particular moderator post or member comment.

Trojan5
July 17, 2020 9:38 pm

The question remains: what in hell was Lynn Swann smoking?

Jamaica
July 18, 2020 4:10 pm

Thinking about this more, Swann didn’t have a permanent President to confer with, only a sit-in Brendan Kelly who wouldn’t have had the power to give Swann a go ahead to make such a deal? Swann by himself couldn’t have had the power alone either. No, I am figuring BOT chairman Caruso had to be the one to OK this deal. He also found Folt after she got bounced from UNC?

PN4SC
July 19, 2020 8:59 am

Allen- I agree that Folt dismissing Swann, and doing it quickly was a much needed move.He was a horrible AD, who only cared preserving his salary, and didn’t didn’t give a damn about the welfare of the Athletic dept. But Folt strikes me as a radical, SJW, who could care less if SC athletics succeeds or fails. Looks like she could do almost as much damage as Nikkias, who ought to be in prison.

HOF19
July 17, 2020 9:36 am

That does not sound good .

HOF19
July 16, 2020 11:14 am

Off Topic >>>>> Here in East Coast small conferences cancelling seasons >>>>> NBC Sports reporting MEAC Conference cancels it’s 2020 football season (Reason I bring this up is I am wondering how much these cancellations will grow locally AND nationwide )…….FIGHT ON !

HOF19
July 16, 2020 1:01 pm

Allen this maybe an opinion some might tell me to lighten up on Clay Helton ………..If Pac-12 cancels …..In your opinion…….Does it give CH some more job security ?

HOF19
July 16, 2020 1:25 pm

Actually I like this point of view ……..If we do play football this fall I hope he does have a bit of a “chip-on-his shoulder ” approach .Maybe ……..maybe we see better coaching from him .

gametv
July 16, 2020 5:03 pm

i’m not sure if SC can afford to fire clay now. with the 2020 season gone, there is no reason to fire Helton, since you would have to buy out his contract and still pay a new coach. Folt has pissed off the alumni base, so donations will dry up and tuition revenues will fall, so I think that we all just need to figure that Clay is here for a while and we should celebrate the changes Bohn forces on him. I guess USC’s tax records show that Clay is being paid 4.5 million, more than anyone thought. His… Read more »

gametv
July 16, 2020 7:11 pm

it was reported on uscfootball.com by dan weber. he says that it comes from an irs form 990 which only becomes public a couple years after the fact. he didnt see the form himself, but i assume his source is trustworthy enough that they would put it on the site.

it is in the article “Now we know why…”

Trojan5
July 16, 2020 7:39 pm

Hey Allen. I know the common wisdom is that Clay benefits by losing the AL & ND games. I have a different take. I think a 8 & 2 PAC-12 record (losses to O & ASU) is worse or at least equal to an 8 & 4 record with non conference losses to ND & AL. Without the opportunity to at least look competitive in the non conference games a 2 loss conference schedule looks real bad. Now COVID and budget concerns may give him a reprieve at the end of the season is definitely possible. But I don’t think… Read more »

gametv
July 17, 2020 12:19 pm

I guess I am starting to get resigned to having to deal with Clay for a couple more years. I hope they dont keep him all the way through the contract end. I guess my hope is that Bohn/Sosna will force some more changes on Clay. The change I really want to see is a new offensive line coach. I’m sure Drevno is a real nice guy and maybe in tight with Clay, but the offensive blocking is the Achilles heel of SC. Even with Austin Jackson, it was mediocre, this coming year it is going to be really bad.… Read more »

July 17, 2020 6:42 am

Allen, Remember what I posted about Clay and Larry Scott. It is much better to be great at institutional politics than at doing your job. The irony of all this is that assuming the 2020 season is not played (which, absent a vaccine, is highly likely), keeping Clay actually was the correct move. It actually saved money!

July 17, 2020 11:51 am

I think Gametv nailed it. Assuming 2020 is not played and with SC entirely online, revenue is going to drop through the floor (as a majority of the students should simply take a semester or two off). So, at just the time SC needs a ton of support from its alumni base, President Mao manages to drive a significant number away. Thus, I line up with Gametv; I think Clay is here at least thru his contract. SC will simply lack the funds (or institutional desire) to make the changes you, quite correctly, state should be made to move the… Read more »

gametv
July 17, 2020 12:23 pm
Reply to  TrojanRJJ

LA Times article says that Folt suggested USC might be facing a 300 to 500 million deficit this coming year. Ouch! My hope is that the students and alumni rebel against the Caruso/Folt debacle and put pressure on the board to remove both of them. They are a disaster in the making. While Nikias caused alot of problems, he also presided over a time when the university raised alot of money and used that money to dramatically increase the prestige of the university. Folt and Caruso are taking it in the opposite direction…rapidly. Higher education is going to face some… Read more »

Rock2112
July 17, 2020 1:30 pm
Reply to  gametv

Game, you’ve got Folt. She’s new, and relatively young for the position. University presidents generally stick around for a very long time. This is it. This is what USC is. USC has many layers of dysfunction around it at the community, city, and state level. USC has not handled that well, but rather developed its own special breed of dysfunction that works in tandem with all that. USC is unlikely to ever be anything like what we remember it to be when we attended, or ever again be the way most of us think it should be. My son is… Read more »

Jamaica
July 17, 2020 5:00 pm
Reply to  TrojanRJJ

RJJ when you can’t do the job as needed and begin covering up that inadequacy with BS, you always have politics as a mechanism to protect your back. CH has known that trick from the beginning when he survived the Kiffin & Sarkisian days. Kiffin’s payback to Haden & USC for throwing him out the door like it did is knowing he hired a hack who has entrenched himself here and greatly corroded its football.

July 15, 2020 5:01 pm

Wonder if Vegas has odds on the season going or not.

July 15, 2020 11:12 am

Allen, you know my views. Hopeful I am totally incorrect, but do not see the Pac playing absent a vaccine. Personally, if they cancel football, they should simply cancel the semester. Their largest problem is going to be keep the students if they cancel all sports. The Ivys think they can (personally I think they are arrogant but they may be right). I am not certain the ASUs and WSUs of the world have the same clout. I know I would be taking the semester off I had a kid in college. The issue is what to do with the… Read more »

Jamaica
July 15, 2020 2:06 pm
Reply to  TrojanRJJ

All it will take is State Governors responding on reports of new outbreaks of the virus (as we are starting to see again) with no alternative but to shut down any public gatherings.Until our younger generations start taking this pandemic seriously as virus carriers, I don’t see any chance of controlling this pandemic until the vaccination comes later next year..

Golden Trojan
July 15, 2020 3:59 pm

From 1939-1946, USC did not play Notre Dame and there were no Olympics due to the war. We are going to have to come to terms with the fact we are in just such a time. It may also be the case that it may take years to recover from this in more ways than college football. Whole parts of the economy will disappear, careers/lives will be forever changed. The sooner this nation gets on a war footing about this the better. Would be nice to have a few Winston Churchills and FDRs in DC to lead us through this.… Read more »

Golden Trojan
July 16, 2020 8:10 am
Reply to  Golden Trojan

And now we can add the Rose Parade to the list of cancellations. The game will not be far behind. Just hit the pause button on 2020-2021.

RialtoTrojan
July 14, 2020 9:57 pm

Is anyone predicting a sophomore slump?
with a better line and our stable of receivers we should be okay but who knows?

July 14, 2020 6:06 pm

It’s that time of year, all the lists will be coming out, the experts will have all the winners and losers picked by the end of July.