Is WSU a Tune-Up, Or Another Shocker?

What’s next for USC?

USC update:

USC is coming off a vacated week, as the Trojans’ game last weekend against Colorado was canceled due to positive COVID-19 tests at USC and contact tracing that resulted in the Trojans not having the minimum number of scholarship players. This game against Washington State was moved from Friday to Sunday in hopes of USC’s players clearing quarantine and being able to play. … If the game takes place as scheduled, this would be the fifth time that USC plays a game on a Sunday. The Trojans are 2-2 in such games, the last coming in 2000. … USC’s passing game has been well-balanced, with five different players catching 13 or more passes. This includes RB Vavae Malepeai, who has 187 all-purpose yards this season. … Sophomore LB Ralen Goforth has settled into his first year as a starter, ranking second on the team with 23 tackles and two pass breakups.

Washington State update:

The Cougars have not played for two weeks, as COVID-19 quarantine protocols have forced Washington State to cancel its last two games, first against Stanford and then the Apple Cup against Washington. … Sunday’s game against USC would be Washington State’s first time playing since a Nov. 14 loss to Oregon. … This will be the first meeting between WSU and USC since 2018, when the Trojans won 39-36. … The Cougars, under new head coach Nick Rolovich, rank third in the Pac-12 in passing yards per game (274.0) and seventh in rushing offense (164.5 yards per game). … Freshman QB Jayden de Laura has completed 59.7% of his passes for 548 yards, four touchdowns and one interception.

ocregister.com

__________

TrojanDailyBlog members  —  Always feel free to add information or topics to the TDB which don’t necessarily pertain to any particular moderator post or member comment.

HOF19
December 1, 2020 4:40 pm

I religiously try to watch as many press conferences involving USC as possible ……..But I just realized I have not gone out of my way as much this season to watch videos of Clay Helton…..Maybe I just got tired of hearing his voice …….FIGHT ON !!!!!

LawyerJohn
December 1, 2020 9:46 am

What do Michigan, Tennessee, LSU, Nebraska, Penn St, Auburn, and Texas have in common?– Their fans expect them to win big every year, and they find their team’s 2020 results totally unacceptable and want the coach fired.

Chris
December 1, 2020 11:51 am

Allen,
I am with you on this. I know we will win big again someday. But the only thing that makes me believe that we are not Nebraska bound is our location. We can recruit all that we need and never get on a plane. Very few schools have that option, like 4 or 5 tops. We may accidentally back our way into a coach who will develop that readily available talent or we will do it intentionally with a great hire. Either way, I’m looking forward to those days.

Chris
December 1, 2020 8:20 am

I live up here in Coug country and watch their games. In my opinion they are better than Arizona, and on par with Utah and ASU. They had Oregon on the ropes but kicked field goals instead of punching it in or could have won that game- they did get run on like crazy in 2nd half. They beat OSU in a straight forward manner. With all that, I would guess we will win in a very unsatisfying way.

Chris
December 1, 2020 9:06 am

they are better at running the ball than in past, not a shocker. Not sure if Borghi will be back, he has not played this year but is their best player and will make their offense better. The QB is young but plays well, extends plays and can run. He will be a handful in the next few years, reminds me of Jason Gesser. They have guys who can catch the ball, leftovers from Leach. Their defense takes chances and is undersized. They are make or break. I assume we will give up some plays to the QB with his… Read more »

LawyerJohn
December 1, 2020 8:11 am

The Trojans will have had little practice time preparing for Washington St, and then 6-days later versus sucla.

Of course, some fans would contend Helton doesn’t practice anyway even when he is practicing, so perhaps SC will not be compromised afterall.

RialtoTrojan
December 1, 2020 7:53 am

I cannot believe the mess this season has become. Some will blame Helton others the pandemic, but I put it squarely on 2020. In my life I cannot remember a game being moved so many times. First it’s on Friday then Sunday the time slot is moving too. First at 6:30 now 4:30. It is as if time has been fractured and no longer exists on a straight line. How else can you explain recent ads for Black Friday overlapping ads for cyber Monday? I cannot even set the recording device because the game doesn’t exist on the schedule. I’m… Read more »

December 1, 2020 6:56 am

This could be the game where USC runs up the score, it should be. But alas, it is also the game Helton can totally blow giving us fresh ammunition to get rid of him no matter how hard his warriors fought. Actually, USC matches up well and with the typical level of play and game management they will squeak by again forcing us to choke down our mantra of “Tarmac, tarmac now”.

volunteerTrojan
December 1, 2020 7:49 am
Reply to  Steveg

This is off topic, granted, but interesting and relevant nonetheless.

Now we have a chance, if perhaps that wasn’t the case before, to actually show that we are serious about this commitment and investing in athletics does not take away from the great caliber, the academic caliber of this institution.”

Candice Lee, AD of Vanderbilt, on her upcoming search for a new HFC after firing Derek Mason.

December 1, 2020 8:34 am

I have a great idea. Vandy needs to hire Clay. He will fit right in. After all, the most memorial moment of Vandy football in the last five years was getting a girl to pooch kick a ball about 30 yards and avoid having to make any contact. And, Vandy football gets national publicity; of course, giving the other team the ball on its 45 yard line is ignored. And, the fact Vany lost by 48 points is ignored. And the coach who pulled this stunt getting fired is ignored. She did get SEC special teams player of the week.… Read more »

December 1, 2020 9:02 am

His warriors would go down fighting for sure. Clay would be ideal at Vandy, his status would never be in danger, he would stay forever because nobody else would want to take him away. Vandy could probably get a good deal on him if he is available.

ATL D.D.S.
December 1, 2020 9:45 am
Reply to  TrojanRJJ

From your lips to Mike Bohn’s ears. Fantastic idea!

Terrific Tommy
December 1, 2020 8:45 am

Allen, one could also view taking any HC job that’s been down for awhile as starting on the 1-yard line, deep in your own territory, as an easier opportunity to impress/improve. The one certainty is that that the new coach will be given reasonably ample time to produce good results — unlike, for example, replacing a winner/or a legend. Take Pete Carroll, for example. Look what he walked into from the get-go. Is there any wonder why once he started winning he had USC Alumni eating out of the palm of his hands in fairly quick order. Of course Vandy… Read more »

December 1, 2020 9:55 am

To be serious (my post below is obviously in jest), I am amazed at the “virtue signaling” by most in political power. “Virtue signaling” is saying something which is the right thing to say, but everyone knows it is totally a lie. I think the Russians have a word for this – they have had to tolerate this nonsense for so long that they gave it a word. The true statement would be: “We all know football does not matter at Vandy, academics do. So we are looking for a coach who does not mind a culture that does not… Read more »

December 1, 2020 9:56 am
Reply to  TrojanRJJ

Oh, I forgot to add, Carol Folt already has that coach! I think Vandy should steal him!