Quick Observer Feedback:
1) RB Stephen Carr looks ready, explosive and fully recovered from his back surgery.
2) Frosh RB Markese Stepp (6-0, 230) will be “a monster.”
3) QB Matt Fink has not been impressive. Jack Sears may beat out JT Daniels for the opening start. Sears is throwing much more accurately than he did in the spring.
4) The USC defense looks excellent and will be the team’s strength. Of course, the defense always performs better early.
5) Frosh LB Palaie Gaoteote (6-2, 250) is a fantastic hitter.
6) The physicality we have all been hoping for has returned to USC practices.
7) Clay Helton is “very animated and in the middle of everything at practice.”
8) Center Toa Lobendahn had better watch out for Brett Neilon who is having an excellent, superior camp. Frosh Justin Dedich is also looking good.
9) LT Austin Jackson looks excellent, super athletic and could be a starter this season. He has really “jumped out” on the O-line.
10) The return of coach Tim Drevno has bought back another very aggressive on-the-field presence to USC practices, the best since Ed Orgeron. Drevno can really get after players who he doesn’t think are performing. “It’s all about run-blocking with Drevno.”