Could Pac-12 Players Boycott the 2020 Season?

thespun.com  —  Players from one major conference are reportedly considering a boycott of the 2020 college football season.

According to a series of tweets from former Arizona State quarterback Rudy Carpenter, Pac-12 players are thinking about a season boycott. The idea for the possible boycott is reportedly being spearheaded by Cal players.

Carpenter’s tweet  —  “Pac-12 football players have created a list of “demands” 4 the Pac-12/universities take into consideration, if the demands aren’t addressed/complied w/ the players R threatening to sit out the season. There is significant support growing among ALL 12 teams with 50 or more players on many of teams in support of this action/demands list.”

“The initial idea was 2 create a players union, they decided time didn’t allow 4 this & figure the best way to create the change they want is 2 “boycott” the season. Things they r asking 4 is 50/50 rev share, 6 yrs insurance upon graduation, better Covid-19 testing & protocols etc etc…The player-led group is being spearheaded at CAL & they have been holding phone calls with other Pac12 teams. There is some kinda of players only meeting/vote that will be taking place shortly.”

The Pac-12 is one of two conferences to announce a conference-only schedule for 2020, with the Big Ten being the other.

College football fans reacted on Twitter to the idea of a Pac-12 player boycott.

“Let them sit out – when the rest of the country is playing – they’ll all transfer and the schools can choke on the debt normally paid down by the revenue stream p—-d away,” one fan tweeted.

“I’m so happy to see more college athletes realizing their power and demanding better,” another fan added.

“Ok…… does this mean we will get ncaa football back on Xbox? I may be inclined to jumping on board if we can get that rolling again,” one fan said.

It would not be surprising to see some college football players opt out of the 2020 season, but it’s difficult to imagine an entire conference doing it.

The 2020 college football season is scheduled to begin in less than two months.

__________

TrojanDailyBlog members  —  Always feel free to add information or topics to the TDB which don’t necessarily pertain to any particular moderator post or member comment.

Jamaica
July 21, 2020 1:11 pm

I say shut down all team sports whether or not fans are in the stands until an effective vaccination is supplied. To do otherwise is risking human exposure even to bubbled team players & staff. Even sports like NASCAR & Golf tournaments are not totally safe and there is risk hovering around to hit a slip up somewhere. This is not the time to be pushing risk of a virus exposure period. We just have to be patient until a vaccination comes about

HOF19
July 21, 2020 11:29 am

In baseball and hockey fan forums I have read comments from fans who tend to REALLY get into a season once it starts state they will hold their “being psyched up ” because they do not want to get bummed out if all of a sudden the 60 game baseball season or the Stanley Cup Playoffs get cancelled ……I can understand that .

July 21, 2020 1:06 pm

Allen, did he cite the facts? The facts evidently do not count. I wonder why? This makes zero sense.

PN4SC
July 21, 2020 7:43 pm

Over the years, Plaschke has written some stupid, dim witted columns, but this could be his most ignorant, foolish piece. 1.2% of the deaths in Calif. are people under 35, and because of this, healthy 18-22 year olds shouldn’t partake in a sports they love and may have a chance to perform at the professional level, by his logic. The economic impact would be severe, but he and all the other leftists turds at the L.A. Times will still be employed. It’s probably tool late, as I doubt any of the PAC 12 Presidents will stand up to the mob… Read more »

ATL D.D.S.
July 22, 2020 6:27 am

Allen, is that last line your or Plaschke’s?

ATL D.D.S.
July 22, 2020 6:29 am
Reply to  ATL D.D.S.

Never mind–figured it out that it was the mental-midget Plaschke’s line.

July 21, 2020 8:17 am

Allen, I am going to shift back to the Ivys and the way they handle football and Covid. The Ivys do not grant athletic scholarships. All scholarships are need based. Athletic ability can be a ground for admission (every school in the nation has special admission for athletes a coach wants, similar to a kid some department wants – the Varsity Blues was about exploiting that fact) but not financial aid. Given the data, why did they cancel the season? I realize that you view big time collegiate football as different that the Ivys and I am not claiming that… Read more »

July 21, 2020 8:01 am

Trojan 96 and Bobbo. Thank you for the hard data. You guys are smarter than I am! I love it! The data one of my sons sent to me showed the actual risk of death to this group as .02% (two hundreds of a percent), which I NOW know (thanks to you guys) is less that the flu. My guess is that it is less than most activities that these kids engage in. It is NOW obvious to me that the correct solution to this “plague” is for the high risk groups (such as myself and my wife) to quarantine,… Read more »

Trojan96
July 20, 2020 8:42 pm

Leave it to the Lefties at Berkeley to demonstrate a temper tantrum where they try to ruin everything by force their BS on the rest of the conference.

meanwhile in the real world. The death rate for kids is essentially zero.

37A399DC-46D1-48F2-AE2E-1903220A82E6.jpeg
Last edited 20 days ago by Trojan96
Bobbo
July 21, 2020 12:12 am
Reply to  Trojan96

Here’s another graph showing much the same thing. How can, after viewing this data, college and HS sports be canceled/postponed???

To see the entire graph (the left side), make sure you click on the image.

EbAN9bKXkAIVfQm.jpg
Last edited 20 days ago by Bobbo
gametv
July 20, 2020 4:45 pm

Stupid ides coming from Cal Berkeley is just so fitting. I specifically watch college ball because it is exciting to watch athletes playing for the love of the game and the hope of an NFL career, instead of playing for money and demanding more. They get college for free and the change of an amazing life and all they have to do is play a game they love.

Hopefully the USC administration realizes that encouraging radical protests is going to lead to big problems. Give a protestor an inch and he will demand a mile.

ATL D.D.S.
July 21, 2020 6:10 am
Reply to  gametv

Carol Folt is a true believer radical leftist. Not surprised if she would support this crap and take a knee for the radical communist organization known as BLM. It’s Caruso that i am surprised about–he wasn’t like this in school.

rleeholder1
July 21, 2020 7:13 am
Reply to  ATL D.D.S.

Folt is systematically destroying the USC I graduated from with a Bachelors and Masters in the 1970s. She and “Huggy” Helton are horrible leaders and side with what the teens and twenty somethings want and/or demand. I’m totally disgusted!

July 20, 2020 4:35 pm

John McKay would simply tell them scholarship rescinded, pack your stuff and get gone. Helton will give them a hug and welcome back next year. I tend to side with McKay, and I cannot believe what they want and think they can go on strike to get it. This came out of Cal and it fits perfectly for Cal, not USC. These young boys are being sadly mislead, forsaking a free education and possible nfl career and money for something they have no right to. To say the least, this really has me pissed off.

July 20, 2020 4:29 pm

We will see most all of the current commits doing the same thing. After all, they have their offer based on what they have already done, so they do not risk injury in their senior season.