Colin Cowherd Takes On Pete Carroll

Colin Cowherd has been all over Pete Carroll lately, admitting that as much as he likes him personally (like most everyone), he doesn’t believe Carroll is getting the job done for the Seahawks any longer, describing the Seahawks’ offense (basically the Russell Wilson show) as “prehistoric.”

Cowherd — “Has anybody ever said that franchise up in Seattle feels lopsided. Pete controls personnel. Pete controls the defense. Pete controls the offensive line. How about just a little pushback?

“I’m not asking for dismissals and firings, but it is interesting that there is this pacific northwest shield around Pete. There’s a downside to having all that power, and nobody outside of Belichick has all that power. Pete and Belichick totally run their franchises. By the way, neither has been great on Draft Day the last 4-5 years. It shows the power of likeability. That’s Big Energy Pete.

“But he was fired twice in the NFL. He left USC in NCAA quicksand. They’ve never recovered.He was 14-18 before Russell Wilson got to Seattle. His coveted defense the last four years has ranked 11th, 16th, 26th, and 22nd. He now has incredible power in personnel. In fact, that’s why the GM John Snyder almost left to take the Lions GM job, and their Draft picks have been all over the map. That Jamal Adams trade? There’s no safety in the NFL worth two first-round picks. Pete made that happen…

“There’s a Doc Rivers quality here. Rivers eventually got fired because the Clippers underachieved, Since Seattle won the Super Bowl, doesn’t it feel like Seattle is making crap up as they go? In 2018, they lead the NFL in rushing. in 2019, they just stopped running the ball. The offensive line always feels sub-optimal.

“Even in Los Angeles, if you criticize him, people don’t like it. Seattle just feels like something is off. Tomlin, Belichick, and Reid all get ripped. We criticize everybody (except Pete).”

__________

TrojanDailyBlog members  —  Always feel free to add information or topics to the TDB which don’t necessarily pertain to any particular moderator post or member comment.

Chris
Chris (@chris)
February 17, 2021 8:56 pm

ASU and UCLA both suck. I don’t care if they are trending up. You can’t go down from the bottom. If we can’t beat those teams next year something is horribly, horribly wrong

Trojan5
Trojan5 (@trojan5)
February 17, 2021 9:13 pm

Just to mess with your mind Clay is going to go undefeated in 21.

Trojan5
Trojan5 (@trojan5)
February 17, 2021 9:23 pm

To be clear, I am not messing with your mind. Clay will be though. I think 9 & 3 , 8 & 4 sounds right. But I do have that off season pie in the sky delusional optimism that lets me think 10 & 2 is doable. I am going for counseling tomorrow & hopefully I will quit hearing those voices .

Trojan5
Trojan5 (@trojan5)
February 17, 2021 9:45 pm

I am cautiously optimistic that the defense will continue to improve and mitigate the loss of Talanoa. But we shall see.

Trojan5
Trojan5 (@trojan5)
February 18, 2021 10:24 am

All good points by you. However, Cristobal as an elite HC has yet to be proven. He can recruit. He can evaluate talent and he has proven he knows what is needed to build a program. He also has the total backing of his AD & President and importantly the backing of Phil Knight. I live in the NW and see the local papers and listen to the local shows. Mario is popular but his in game coaching has come under fire . Plus under him Oregon has had a few clunkers and also a few games of real inconsistency.… Read more »

Jamaica
Jamaica (@jamaica)
February 18, 2021 10:25 am

Not one PAC-12 school would trade their HC for CH alright, and every other PAC-12 HC who had USC’s talent to work with would have a better developed USC football program today, pretty much tells the right story.

TrojanRJJ (@trojanrjj)
February 18, 2021 3:19 pm

Allen, I cannot imagine any Power 5 team who would hire Clay. No one in the SEC. No one in the Big 12. No one in the Big 10. No one in the ACC. SC simply has the worst HC in Power 5. The incompetence of Lynn Swann is just astonishing!

TrojanRJJ (@trojanrjj)
February 18, 2021 4:34 pm

Lynn destroyed his legacy at SC. He will not be remembered for the exploits on the football field. He will forever be remembered for his Helton extension. The worst mistake in SC football history.

TrojanRJJ (@trojanrjj)
February 18, 2021 4:53 pm
Reply to  Trojan5

Trojan 5, Get counseling! Just joking. ND, ASU, and UCLA will all be better than SC next year. Our OC is mediocre and trying to figure it out. As Allen notes, the D will not be as good. The O will probably be at best about the same. If Vavae and/or Kedon go down, it will be worse. Our OL is a mess and lost by far it’s best player. And, we have the worst HC inPower 5.

RialtoTrojan
RialtoTrojan (@rialtotrojan)
February 17, 2021 1:59 pm

I thought Bru was a real stud last season and wondered why he wasn’t used more often. I hope he shines this year with many of our top receivers moving on.

TrojanRJJ (@trojanrjj)
February 17, 2021 5:34 pm

Allen, Since you are now drinking the off season Sc football Kool-Aid and are at 8-4,do you think SC beats both these teams? My prediction is SC loses to both. I do not see how SC is better in 2021 than 2020 and both ASU and UCLA will be improved. I am still at 6-6: sure losses: ASU, ND, UCLA Loss to one of San Jose State or BYU And two more losses.

TireBiter
TireBiter (@tirebiter)
February 17, 2021 10:14 am

Off topic, but my son asked me to watch “Young Rock” with him last night. New Zealand-born actor Emmett Skilton played Coach Orgeron at the “U” and had a few lines. It was hilarious…I though he nailed it.

LawyerJohn
LawyerJohn (@lawyerjohn)
February 16, 2021 8:13 pm

Well done San Diego Trojan, a fine essay. You took the words out of my mouth. Thanks, now I don’t have to think.

San Diego Trojan
San Diego Trojan (@san-diego-trojan)
February 16, 2021 7:11 pm

Cowherd is in the entertainment business, and I watch and mostly enjoy his show, but he is unfairly particularly harsh on Pete, and he’s said these things about him many times before. It’s interesting because he used to gush regularly about him during his USC days and Seattle Super Bowl runs. My God, Seattle was 12-4 this past season. Who wouldn’t take that? There are always peaks and valleys when any coach has run a program for as long as Pete has run both. So much depends on personnel, injuries, choices, and some luck, but bottom line is that he… Read more »

San Diego Trojan
San Diego Trojan (@san-diego-trojan)
February 16, 2021 9:10 pm

Allen, I get it, it comes with the territory, and maybe his run is near an end, but don’t you think he shouldn’t be criticized this much coming off of a division championship? Cowherd likes to preface his remarks by saying he was fired twice. What does that have to do with anything. Belichick and other successful coaches, if around long enough, have been fired at least that much and never had the success in college coaching that he has had. Only Jimmie Johnson and Barry Switzerland come to mind. My point is that Pete has had his faults and… Read more »

Chris
Chris (@chris)
February 17, 2021 6:55 am

A ton of that is Russ’ fault. He always improvises, and not because he always has to. He did not play well the 2nd half of the season, the Seahawks D carried the team. I watch almost everyone of their games as I am stuck up here in Seahawk land. Russ is great, but not a top 5 guy. Pete is by far the best thing that ever happened to the Seahawks.

Jamaica
Jamaica (@jamaica)
February 17, 2021 9:50 am

You are so right in Pete having an huge ego and his personality allows him to get away with it. He is a free spirit where it gets in the way of sound judgment at times, where we scratch our head on his actions sometimes. People thinking Russell Wilson is free-lancing on the field? I say he is PC at QB seeking every opportunity there is at any given play and the fun of doing it. Pete will never operate in a Saban-like absolute structure. Variety is the spice of life and Pete no doubt believes that. I believe at… Read more »

misterusc
misterusc (@misterusc)
February 16, 2021 5:10 pm

Hi Allen, in regards to the recruiting and the point system, how do they come up with the total number. USC has 2646 total points. Thanks.

Steveg (@steveg)
February 16, 2021 2:51 pm

I do remember in the last year or so of PC being at USC things started to go downhill as far as talent in critical areas like O line and defense. I do remember he wasn’t going after the best players, or not getting them for some reason. Wonder if that is what is happening in Seahawk country.

Steveg (@steveg)
February 16, 2021 4:43 pm

Wasn’t Brennan Carroll the reason recruiting went downhill?

rleeholder1
rleeholder1 (@rleeholder1)
February 16, 2021 12:06 pm

I will always have mixed feelings about Pete. On the one hand, he revived USC Football, won National Championships and brought SC back to a top program where players wanted to go. On the other hand, I’ve always felt Pete knew/knows more about the Bush debacle than he will ever publicly admit. When he’s asked questions about it, he’s always vague and evasive. I respect Pete, but he’s a control freak, IMO.

Jamaica
Jamaica (@jamaica)
February 16, 2021 4:46 pm

PC tried very hard to make USC football fun & exciting for his players. How he treated them was similar to Barry Switzer’s fun attitude at Oklahoma. Both programs had incredible success and ended up in NCAA purgatory. It took Oklahoma a period of some 10 plus years to come back after Switzer left and the same is happening at USC. Both coaches ran loose programs and trusted their players to stay out of trouble and in both cases that was asking for too much. I can think of two particular players that disappointed PC the most: Mark Sanchez leaving… Read more »

TrojanRJJ (@trojanrjj)
February 16, 2021 1:19 pm
Reply to  rleeholder1

Maybe it is part of what goes with that type of personality and genius level talent. Pete clearly is a genius level at coaching. Very rare talent. But with that level of talent comes weaknesses. The largest, I have found when dealing with extremely talented and successful people (very same sampling), is hubris. They have huge blind spots but simply do not see them as such. Pete decided that he did not want Norm Chow and replaced Norm with Lane and Sark. When Saban wanted a new OC, he hired a former pro head coach and OC. Pete would never… Read more »

rleeholder1
rleeholder1 (@rleeholder1)
February 16, 2021 1:35 pm

TrojanRJJ and Allen, I hear you both. I attended the 1978 USC vs Alabama game, as my best HS friend had a swim scholarship to ALA. The game was held in Birmingham as opposed to Tuscaloosa. My buddy got me a ticket in the ALA student section. I dressed neutral as I didn’t want to get mauled, and was a first year grad student in the USC School of Business after earning a Bachelors regarding same the year earlier. My buddy also got me a date and we went to her parent’s place after SC handily won the game. What… Read more »

TrojanRJJ (@trojanrjj)
February 16, 2021 2:55 pm

Allen, I do not see it as a weakness at all. He understands what it takes to be a leader of a program (or any entity). His sole concern is the success of the entity (in this case AL football and its legacy). All other concerns are secondary, particularly personal relationships with staff. That does not mean that you are not friendly with staff or that you do not care about your players. But, those relationships are secondary. He clearly cares for his players and their success but he is also clear that they must be able to perform or… Read more »

Jamaica
Jamaica (@jamaica)
February 16, 2021 5:05 pm

I have a different view of Saban…. he has his “system” that has been printed in books. He trusts his system completely believing if followed, it will provide results. Like John Wooden’s pyramid of success. Saban’s harshness is mainly aimed at the press who wants to pick & probe for dirt and this is Saban’s way of protecting his players. His players love him and I don’t remember even one former player coming down on him. Saban works in a part of the Country that isn’t so politically correct which he has lived most of his life. Big winners are… Read more »

rleeholder1
rleeholder1 (@rleeholder1)
February 17, 2021 6:23 am
Reply to  Jamaica

I agree with you Jamaica 100% on that part of the Country not being politically correct. Alabama Football is like a religion down there. I attended the 1978 USC vs ALA game in Birmingham and then stayed with my HS buddy who was on swim scholarship with ALA in Tuscaloosa near the campus. I was a first year student in the SC Graduate School of Business. In SoCal, there are so many activities that compete with a sports fan’s attention such as pro sports, great weather, going to the beach/mountains, etc. In Tuscaloosa and nearby parts, it’s Roll Tide on… Read more »

Last edited 2 months ago by rleeholder1
Trojan5
Trojan5 (@trojan5)
February 17, 2021 9:17 am

Good morning Allen. I am not going to touch the political correctness hornets nest with a 10 foot pole. The commotion could last for days. Nick Saban wins because he simply is the best college football coach of all time. It is truly amazing that he has had AL at the top of CFB for so long. AL will slip when he leaves because he is THE reason for their success. If he would have stayed at LSU they would have 7 national championships and the rest of the SEC would be scrambling to catch them.

Jamaica
Jamaica (@jamaica)
February 17, 2021 9:29 am

In small towns across America where the major Universities are located, like military installations, the importance is created not by the entertainment factor alone but by financial aspects. There’s coop-arrangements (scholar-assisting with local farmers-businesses, community related interests in health & safety like matters. Los Angeles is a huge metropolis where USC-UCLA can seek a diversified arena of interests. But in these smaller towns, a major academic institution is the center piece of activity. Although Birmingham is a large city, it is dwarfed by an LA. But the Winning & losing has a greater effect in these rural communities. Besides, an… Read more »

Jamaica
Jamaica (@jamaica)
February 18, 2021 10:39 am

All I was trying to point out was these smaller towns rely on their major Universities in a greater extent especially where the financial aspects come in. But of course, a winner attracts a great following no matter where. But it is not unusual where an athlete from a small town in the middle of nowhere would definitely be attracted to the Hollywood scene as a athlete who grew up in a metropolis might find a rural University appealing as being different. 3 of my 4 kids felt that way.

Jamaica
Jamaica (@jamaica)
February 27, 2021 10:25 am

The USC administration could have gotten its football program back on its feet and playing top ball a lot sooner if it had done its homework in putting the right people in the right places. There’s no mystery who is stalling the rebirth of USC football.

rleeholder1
rleeholder1 (@rleeholder1)
February 18, 2021 4:30 am

I wasn’t suggesting ALA wins because it’s the only game in town. My bad for being vague. My thoughts were along the lines of the fan base and support for the team. When I was living in Westlake Village/Thousand Oaks, there were so many things I could do on a Saturday afternoon besides go to an SC game. Usually once a year I took my son and drove to the Coliseum. Otherwise, when you are only 20 minutes from Zuma/Malibu Beach when the Santa Ana winds are in the area, it was hard to drive an hour to get to… Read more »

Jamaica
Jamaica (@jamaica)
February 18, 2021 10:53 am

You would think those who have any clear thinking, above their own agenda-prejudices in this present administration would understand there is now competition for the football fan’s almighty dollar in LA. And putting out an underachieving product by a unpopular HC will lose enough attraction and produce empty seats, with a lease type facility upgrade contract to face. Caruso & Folt hopefully understand that money does not grow on trees. By their actions so far, I am not so sure.

Jamaica
Jamaica (@jamaica)
February 18, 2021 11:03 am
Reply to  Jamaica

Further, the best way to convince the ticket buying public that you are serious about wanting their loyalty, is to payoff the remainder of CH’s contract and bring in a high energy HC. Sometimes it takes a big sacrifice (dollars) to show people you are serious enough to keep them coming. Anyway, most if not all top football programs clearly understand this is the way to do business today. USC can afford to do this acceptable type of business.

Last edited 1 month ago by Jamaica
rleeholder1
rleeholder1 (@rleeholder1)
February 19, 2021 4:16 am
Reply to  Jamaica

I agree with you 100% Jamaica on bringing in a high-energy HC. I’ve read where there are two groups of supporters that have the capacity to buy out CH’s contract. How that would happen in terms of the structure of the payment is anybody’s guess; i.e., would the group donate the $$ to USC and earmark it for the special purpose or would it be some other avenue? Who knows, but it should be clear to Caruso, Folt and Bohn that the people who donate money to the University (e.g., me) and attend the games when permitted are fed up… Read more »