1) Frosh ILB Palaie Gaeteote had an arthroscopy on his “small torn meniscus” and will be out just two to four weeks.
2) ILB Cameron Smith is coming around and went through “walk-throughs” yesterday.
3) OT Chuma Edoga is back in “full force.”
4) OT Austin Jackson is out with an ankle. Doesn’t seem serious and could return by week’s end.
5) OT Clayton Bradley (formerly Johnston) is looking good and is especially valuable because he can play on both the left and the right side.
6) OT Jalen McKenzie is also “making good progression and is a good athlete.”
7) CBs Greg Johnson and Isaiah Langley are battling it out and Greg is “pushing hard” for playing time. “It’s s good competition.”
8) Frosh QB JT Daniels is “distributing the ball well and taking what the defense gives” and not leaning towards or forcing the ball to his former Mater Dei team-mate Amon-Ra St. Brown.
9) Frosh WR Amon-Ra St. Brown has “a sense of urgency to be great. He’s ‘powerful and physical’ and can play inside or outside. He will move around. He’s a talented individual who has really put a mark on this camp with his physical and mental maturity at such a young age. He has ‘natural-catching ability’. It comes easy for him. Nelson Agholor had to really work at it, while Woody (Robert Woods) was day 1.”
10) WR Michael Pittman suffered a broken nose and had reset surgery. He also has a shoulder sprain and won’t be back until next week at the soonest.
11) Clay Helton says he was actually pleased with the OL play on Saturday and that there were only two or three “physical beats” by Jay Tufele and Hunter Echols — and no missed assignments by OLs. He said the QBs were holding the ball too long. “Three or four of those sacks were quarterbacks not getting rid of the ball.”